How to Choose a Diaper Bag
Your diaper bag is one of the most-used pieces of baby gear you will buy as a new parent. There are so many different types of baby diaper bags on the market, with many features to consider.
Opinions run the gamut on this one. Some moms swear by their large, multi-pocketed diaper bags, while others simply stick the bare necessities in a favorite tote and are on their way. No matter what route you go, remember the golden rule: The bigger the bag is, the more you’ll find to fill it with.
Here’s everything you need to know about this important tool for life as a parent and how to choose the best diaper bag that meets your family’s needs.
Diaper Bags - What to Expect
Babies need a lot of stuff. From blowouts to bottles, you need to be prepared!
The best diaper bag is made to hold everything you need in one place when you’re not home. Even the most austere parent needs diapers and wipes, of course, but other essentials like a change of clothes, extra pacifiers, bottles and some fun toys for baby should fit as well.
Let’s talk about things to consider before you make your decision.
What Types of Diaper Bags Are There?
There are a few basic styles of diaper bags:
- Diaper Bag Backpacks are a great hands-free option. They can also be worn on your back while you’re wearing your baby in a carrier up front.
- Messenger bags have one long strap that can either be worn crossbody or over your shoulder.
- Tote bags have two long straps and can be carried over your shoulder.
Features to Consider
There are many options available, but there are a few features you’ll want to focus one for you:
- Plenty of space. Babies need a lot of stuff!
- Easy to clean. Dirty diapers or clothes, leaking bottles, food pouch leaks, it’s good to have a wipe-clean surface.
- Shareability. What works for you may not work for your partner or caregiver, so keep in mind who else will be using the diaper bag when making your choice.
- Ergonomic. Comfort is key. You will have to carry this for hours, especially when it’s full!
- Insulated pockets: These keep bottles, water or snacks cool.
- Changing pad: Some bags include a fold out pad you can change the baby on.
- Stroller clips: This convenient feature allows you to attach your diaper bag to your stroller, so you don’t have to carry it or take up precious space in the stroller basket.
- Lots of pockets: Having designated spots to put things can help you find what you’re looking for more easily. Baby stuff is tiny, and dedicated compartments help keep you organized so you’re not spending 10 minutes rooting around your bag every time you need to grab something.
What to Put in a Diaper Bag?How to organize your diaper bag will change as your baby gets older. What goes in a diaper bag can change, but here’s a breakdown of the basics:
- Diapers, wipes and diaper rash cream
- Portable changing pad
- Hand sanitizer
- Burp clothes
- Backup outfit or two (don’t forget socks!)
- Lightweight blanket
- A few small toys (teether, rattle, board book, small electronic toy etc.)
- Nursing cover
- Bottles and formula
- Baby wrap or carrier
- Sunscreen and sunhat
When You're Shopping:
Include your partner. Make sure that they will feel comfortable with the features and style of the bag.
Find functions are most important to you and what you are willing to sacrifice for those functions.
For the dads: if you and your significant other can’t decide on a bag that you both like, keep in mind that there are diaper bags out there created specifically for men! They are usually made from more masculine fabrics and patterns.